Hydration and Nutrition
Trailblazer Nutrition’s Endurance Nutrition Summary
Half the fun of taking on the BDO Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge is all the delicious food and drink you can consume in the name of sports nutrition. Using the power of sports nutrition will also make training easier, allow you to actually enjoy the event, and give you the satisfaction of achieving your goals.
For more details, check out this nutrition guide written for the BDO Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. In the meantime, the following are some key points to think about:
- Ensure you meet your increased nutrition needs during training through a high quality everyday diet – protein, carbs, fats and veggies at each meal. Snack on nutritious foods rather than ‘empty calories’. You can’t train when you’re sick!
- The more carbohydrates you have during exercise, the better you perform. Get the most out of training by consuming 60-90g of carbohydrates per hour. Use a carbohydrate containing sports drink, gels, or whole foods.
- Drink to thirst, but learn what works best for you and ensure you have a game plan for event day - how many bottles on your bike? Will you need to refill? Exactly what you will drink and have you trialed it in training?
- Recovery is the time when your body actually gets fitter. Consuming the right amount of carbs, protein and fluid after exercise will allow the hard work you put in during training to be converted to fitness improvements.
- Event day nutrition is an extension of training: don’t try anything on event day you haven’t trialed in training.
- Know your nutrition and hydration plan in advance. Plan your gels and drinks.
- A personalised nutrition plan will ensure the right amounts of carbs, fluids, and electrolytes to train and race at your peak, and avoid gastro problems.
Nutrition and Training - 1 week snapshot
Event partners Venturo Coaching, Trailblazer Nutrition, nuun and CLIF have developed a one week training snapshot which includes suggestions on riding regime, nutrition advice along with nutrition and electrolyte intake recommendations.
Official Electrolyte Drink - Nuun Hydration
ON-COURSE FLAVOURS: TBC
Nuun (pronounced ‘noon’) is proud to partner with Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge and will offer their plant-based electrolyte replacement sports drink on course at key aid station points. With the shift in preference moving to natural sports nutrition, nuun is becoming increasingly attractive to athletes looking for a clean, high performance alternative.
You sweat - nuun replenishes
Packed with an optimal blend of 4 key electrolytes, a light flavour and clean ingredients, nuun hydration is a perfect sports drink for your active lifestyle.
Available from leading bike, sport and outdoor stores nationwide. Email email@example.com for your nearest stockist.
CLIF BAR™ AVAILABLE ON COURSE – TBC.
The great taste and nutritional goodness of the original CLIF Bar– perfect for grabbing on the go!
CLIF Bars are ideal when your body has high energy demands. With a mix of carbohydrates, protein and fibre, CLIF Bars supply working bodies with the extra energy and nutrients they need for extended periods of activity.
CLIF Bar products available from leading bike, sport and outdoor stores nationwide. For further information or your nearest stockist visit www.clifbar.co.nz